Friday, July 4, 2008

So You Wanna Be A DJ: Part 7


We have talked alot about the tecnichal aspect of music, how to present yourself, and how to produce... One thing very few people talk about is the actual business and how it can one minute elavate you till you're floating on cloud nine, then drop you, and crush your soul till you wanna die. Dramatic? Maybe... Still it has been all these things and more for me. It always helps me when I read about other artistes going through the same thing, somehow giving me the strength to go on when things are bad, it shows we are not alone. The truth is, apart from acting, you have chosen the hardest profession in the world where you'll live the life of a starving artiste. The slot is filled for DJ superstars. To join the ranks you'll need to produce 20 hits in a row and sell more tickets than Paul Van Dyk... yes i'm DJ RAP but if you think its all rosy for me, you couldn't be more wrong.

This blog is about mental toughness. I believe that victory is for believers and for those who believe long enough. The question will always be how long can we hold out before we win, before we starve, before we have to get a day job at McDonalds or Burger King, or even better Fry's!!!!
Yep, I make light, however, what else can I do as this is all I have done my whole life?
So, lesson one is have a backup plan. When you learn to produce this will be a valuable skill and you will always find work in the editing/production world of music and film as well as any studio be it RecordPlant, Conway, or the like... When times are tough, and they will be, you'll be glad you have that skill, believe me.

There isn't a day that goes by where I don't question my sanity for choosing this path, as it's so damn stressful. I have given everything up for this and yet, my dream eludes me and remains only half answered... though many think fulfilled. The struggle to make a great living doing what you love is truly only for the hardcore, that's what make the great great. Look at Oprah, Mohammed Ali, Ghandi, the Dali Lama, the father on the street, our mothers and grandmothers. All people who taught us life is hard but also can be glorius.
I will let you know when I get there. lol..........

luv and bass DJ RAP

as always, head over to my website and sign up on the mailing list to receive free tracks in your email every month!

No comments: