Thursday, August 13, 2009

'So You Wanna Be A Dj?' part 20-The Art Of Reinvention


Hi guys and dolls I want to talk to you about the art of Reinvention. Why is this important? Keeping you sound fresh will keep you in the business for a long time.Ask Madonna,she is the queen of it and a great example of an amazing Career and what you can do when you don't limit yourself. You don't have to be like me, or her, I change my style of music like I change my hair, but being able to adapt means you won't be a flash in the pan as they say.I want your flame to burn brightly for a long time....no words are sadder than "I used to be in the business but now I have a desk job I hate"
It is really important to check out your influences, your heroes,your fav. producers and regularly listen to what is out there. I do this every time I go in the studio because you can never get to comfortable even if you have a signature style. For example, my fans know that whatever I put out will have mad energy, but I think they also love that I always come with a new sound and do push that envelope, sometimes I get shit for cross pollination genres but now it is more accepted for sure.. so experiment away!
When you have picked a genre, be it house,drum and bass whatever flicks your switch
(in my case EVERYTHING) there is no reason why you shouldn't be the guy or girl that turns it upside down and creates a new flavour. This is how music evolves,someone in their studio grows some balls and does his/her best to be original. Copying other people is lame,strive to be you.
Now, there are some formulas in music you should not mess with,like arrangement,it works for a reason...so don't mess with the tricks that work. A great breakdown is a great breakdown,I can't stand when I get a record, I love it,but the breakdown is like a limp penis. I always wonder if that is how the producer 'producers' in real life ha ha ha. As the old saying goes, if you can't dance you probably can't f--k.
My favourite label is Toolroom records
They have the art of reinvention and producing music down to a fine art. Not to mention all the amazing artistes they have on their side. I study labels, producers because I swim in their world,so I better have some chops if I hope to get some respect myself. These people and so many others in out wonderful sea of music are the best for a reason, it is not easy...In fact it is the hardest but most rewarding thing I have ever done, so the least you can do is try to be the best you can.This scene and this world deserves that,needs that from you and I.
Lastly,once you are luck enough to 'have made it' the real journey begins. What I am going to tell you is that once you made your first album/record like I did with 'learning Curve' you say to yourself 'and now for my next trick?' The second album is the hardest,I certainly took way too long to get back in the saddle mainly because I had poor management that kept me touring as I kept too many parasites feeding of my success I forgot the goal was to make music,it is the oil that keeps the wheels turning in my world. A mistake I will never make again. You have to keep coming with a fresh approach for your next record...and it can be a mind f--k I can tell you! For me Synthesis ( out sept 22 MINISTRY OF SOUND) was a wonderful adventure in discovering where I would go musically.So it's not always so much drama once you know the direction you want to go in....
I love not knowing how my next record should sound...once I get in that studio and figure it out,there is nothing more exciting.Imagine the joy of having to create a completely new vision of you musically for your fans....If you want to be in the game and in it for a lifetime-keep yourself current and knowledgeable and let yourself be free to experiment in your studio...I hope you have as much joy as I do daily doing just that!
Hope this helps -- Members of my mailing list get free music in their emails! Sign up now on www.djrap.com. Luv and Bass DJRAP

No comments: